My CNC machine

Kellyware Forum » Show Off Your Plotters » My CNC machine « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Iain McFetridge
Username: Iain

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, October 23, 2007 - 12:47 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I use it to cut radio controled model aircraft.
Athalon 1800+ running windows XP Hobby CNC 4UAPC stepper controler,(adding a Max Stepper) 24 volt 12 amp switching power supply. X and Y axis 3 amp
120oz steppers. Z axis 1 amp 60 oz stepper. I used the basic plans from HobbyCNC for ther router but replaced all the wood with aluminum.
the worktop is T-channel at one inch centers.

Michael Burton
Username: Rccnc

Post Number: 20

Posted on Thursday, October 25, 2007 - 09:03 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Very Nice Iain, We share a mutual hobby, actually 2 CNC & RC. Drop me an e-mail address and I'll send you some project pictures. I'm currently working on a 1/3 scale scratch built. 10' wingspan 26" wing chord & Retractable landing gear for 7" mains, 6" nose. Powered by a Fuji Bt86 Twin. I think I'm going to call it Flying Debris.
My e-mail is michaelburton01@hotmail

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 2

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 01:28 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

here is an upgrade I have done..did away with hudge router motor and replaced it with a real spindle..much lighter and a lot easyer to see what im cutting..oh..ya..those ARE traning wheels in the main picture..prevents any sag in the middle.;-) new router head

Kelly Ullrich
Username: Kellyu

Post Number: 175

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2007 - 08:35 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

The wheels are a great idea! I really like your machine!

Kelly

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 5

Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2007 - 09:00 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

ok..ive built the Max stepper and decided to get a bit fancy..so I built a new puter for the CNC router and stuffed it in a new box..here is the results..
P4 3 ghz 1 gig ram..Gforce MX400 80 gig hard drive cd burner..Antec Ariva case.memory card reader on the front with two USB ports and 6 more USB ports on the back. After I built the computer..there is places for two more hard drives on ither side of the CD burner and main hard drive,so I got to thinking..why hard drives?? so max stepper found its way into the left hard drive bay mounted to a aluminum plate hooked to the computers 12 volt powersupply and the serial port is hooked directly to the com 1 connector on the motherboard..I mounted my HobbyCNC 4AUPC Driverboard to the other right hand drive bay on a plate..stuck all the nessasary cables that hook up to my table and big powersupply out the back...I did not have to modify the case in any way to accomidate everything..I can pull the boards and turn it back into a standard computer in about 15 mins..life is sweet when things fall together right..next I will build a small box to fit on the top to mount the stepper powersupply into and ill be good to go..By the way Kelly..Max stepper came up and seems to be working fine first shot..cudos on the kit instructions.

Kelly Ullrich

Post Number: 180

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2007 - 09:49 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WOW! You've got it all inside one box! That looks great! Do you have a separate power source for the motor drivers?

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 9

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2007 - 12:50 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

WHOOOHOOO!!! MAXSTEPPER is SO Awsum!! Im traviling at 40 inches per and cutting at 30..thanks kelly..ohh..I did find a tensy bug..seems I cant singlestep jog in the Z axis..all othe Axis's I can single step in the jog..
yes..the powersupply is not able to fit inside that box..so I run an external switching PS..it will go in its own little box and sit on top of the system..this way..if I get bigger steppers or bigger PS all I have to do is unplug the PS and replace it..I will do more work on it soon..one of these days I may actualy get around to cutting an airplane or two..

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 45

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 06:55 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly..
long time since Ive had any problems..stoped in today to update my pictures and couldnt find any pictures here or elsewhere..all are gone..all I get is a little red x where the picture should be..and all your pages have changed to this yellow and orange with hard to see green writing..you geting hacked??

Graeme Matthewson
Username: Graeme

Post Number: 5

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 07:54 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

I get this problem if I use MS IE win 98.
Mozilla with win 98 or MS IE with XP

Kelly Ullrich

Post Number: 299

Posted on Wednesday, September 24, 2008 - 09:15 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

No, I have had DNS issues and now the pictures have disappeared. I am pressing tech support for help.

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 47

Posted on Wednesday, February 11, 2009 - 11:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi Kelly

Made a couple of mods to the CNC. the first one is adding Y Axis blocks (small square blocks with 4 bolts on the side)to lock the linnear bearing slides in place..I was geting about a millimeter displacement after cutting from the "home" position it started in..the second mod is a much larger and stronger motor driving the spindel..a far cry quieter as well..its a sewing machine motor..hehe..I was thinking of using a ac or dc servo motor for speed control and higher torque but so far have only found one nema 23 size unit and MAN it was expensive. ill keep looking..

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 1

Posted on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 08:50 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Hi everyone (and thanks Kelly) did anouther upgrade to my CNC machine.. An ER-11 collet spindle. cuts the noise and vibration in HALF.
I have a bit test that usualy breaks the bit but with it spinning so smoothly it riped thru tha 1/4 inch birtch ply like butter (this is with a .0652 bit.)

Spindle with new motor attachment.ER-11 Spindle

Kelly Ullrich

Post Number: 555

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:42 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

Wow, that bad boy must have some awesome power! Looks great! It makes my Proxxon spindle look like a 98# weakling. :-) Thanks for sharing it with us!

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 4

Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 08:28 pm:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

link to the guy that makes em is

http://www.cnconabudget.com/

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 15

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2014 - 12:42 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

new change and update. I cuts aluminum now..:-)
Cut the new side uprights so I can cut thicker stuff. also moved most of the electronics to the back of the gantry. is it more fun to keep modifying the machine? or making airplanes?

Iain McFetridge

Post Number: 16

Posted on Monday, July 14, 2014 - 12:54 am:   Edit Post Delete Post View Post/Check IP    Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only) Ban Poster IP (Moderator/Admin only)

woops..pics here

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page